i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

mmmmmfujikle

i think i could live on fudgecicles and a vitamin. fudgecicles have 90 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, a bunch of carbohydrates and 3 grams of protein. i love fudgecicles. i had forgotten about them (i'm so sorry fudgecicles, i didn't mean to forget you) but i'm back with a vengeance.

anyway, that's not what i came here to talk about. almost everyone that i know says "anyways." it is a pet peeve of mine. nobody better go feeling all called out or anything, cause i swear, most of my friends say it, so i'm not picking. it's "anyway." not "anyways." and while we're on topic, it's "in regard to," or "regarding," not "in regards to." you can give someone your "regards," but you can not say that something is "in regards to," something else. also, i'm sure that i have a thing that i missuse all the time (" " for instance) and feel free to point it out. i don't want to be someone else's pet peeve.

why is it your pet peeve? i mean a teachers pet is their favorite student, not their least favorite. a whole bunch of stuff bugs me, like, when magnets slide down the fridge for no reason, or when you have a dairy bubble in your throat and you accidentally swallow before you get to say a bunch of stuff in your cool kermit voice. those things totally bug me, but they don't bug me nearly as much as adding an s to anyway. so why would that be my pet peeve? why not my biggest peeve? or my almost biggest peeve? or even one of my peeves. it's interesting terminology.

oh oh oh, also... despite, and in spite of. do you do something despite something else? or in spite of? i try to say "in spite of..." cause i think it sounds stronger some how. so the other day i looked up despite in ye olde websters and it's totally not even a word. i mean it is, but it only means "in spite of." so basically, we say despite cause we're lazy. you know, those of us that say despite. man i love words.

or can't hardly stand it versus can hardly stand it. well? can you sort of stand it or not at all? oh man, i really just meant this to be about a few extra esses (i didn't know how to pluralize s, so you get esses. i think maybe s'?). i am out of control.

also, if you feel like commenting, that's super awesome. if you do, can you tell me what your pet peeve is? and you can choose. tell me either the most annoying of your peeves, or your actual favorite annoyance. either way you want to take pet peeve is good with me.



arrivederci, rebecca marie

30 flattering compliments:

Blogger Jessica gushed...

i also despise "anyways" and cringe especially hard when I find myself making that mistake.
Another BIG one is "could care less" when REALLY they mean "couldn't care less" ARG!!!!
And my mother always says things like "no offense, but that sky is cloudy." "no offense, but i really like cherries" it's RIDICULOUS!!!! Although perhaps she's referring to my being offended at her incorrect usage of the phrase "no offense".
oy

i heart your blogs. and we should talk sometime.

ciao babe

8/09/2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

I love you and your proper grammar! I have a crush on your proper grammar.

Sadly, I'm not kidding. Even a little.

I have too many peeves (even when limiting said peeves to the grammar-related) to list, let alone rank.

One that makes me wince every time is the ubiquitous "irregardless." First of all, it's not a word. Secondly, if it WAS a word, it would mean precisely the opposite of "regardless," which means that everyone is using the non-word incorrectly.

Another grammar peeve (that we all should have mastered in 4th grade...thanks, Mrs. Guenther) is using "there" for "their" or or "they're." Or any pairing thereof. Let's review: "there" is a location; "their" means it belongs to someone; "they're" is a contraction of "they are." It's not that difficult, yet I read at least a dozen books a year where the wrong version made it past the editor. It's not that difficult! I can understand the confusion with the proper usage of "lay/lie" or "affected/effected", but there/their/they're is pretty simple.

Know what I do that bugs me? My brain composes much faster than my fingers type. Which means I'm constantly omitting words or letters and don't always catch it when I proof-read because my brain oh-so-helpfully fills in the gaps. Taht bugs.

8/09/2006 9:54 AM  
Blogger arwen gushed...

i love your drawings.
I say anywayS, but I always type and write anyway. I think. Maybe I don't. In my head it says anyway.
anyways-- on with the pet peeves.
1)highschoolers
2) No- wait.... my number one pet peeve is when you go into the grocery store and the youngish checker sees that you are young and feels that it's appropriate to start swearing like a sailor. Or a pirate. They just assume that since I am young, I want to hear their filth. They wouldn't talk to my grandmother that way.... it actually makes me so mad I could spit.

8/09/2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger LoriLoo310 gushed...

As for my grammar pet peeve - I hate when people forget to close off the parenthesis. Remember that it takes BOTH ( and ) to be a full parenthetical phrase.

But my pet peeve in life is when people are late and they don't call to inform you that they will be late. It's called common courtesy people, common courtesy.

8/09/2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

My grandpa says "deemp" instead of "deep." But that's not a peeve because I secretly think it's kind of cute. (As long as he doesn't teach it to my kids.)

8/09/2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Steven gushed...

The C and the L in "Fudgecicles" came together on my screen to create what looked like a D.

So, you like fudgecides, huh? Is that come kind of fudge killer?

Have you tried the "no sugar added" variety? We have some of those in our freezer.

In regards to pet peeves, (snicker) I don't like it when people add an "S" to the end of store names. I also don't like it when I send people emails where my name is perfectly spelled out and when they reply they insist on spelling my name with a "ph". Grrr!!

8/09/2006 12:06 PM  
Blogger Tim gushed...

I like fudgicles too. Is that what brought you to this topic? Was it Milhouse?

8/09/2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

gina - eeuuww. i get it though, i used to have a co-worker who said pompcorn. it freaked my freak out.

and yes, steven, it is not fred meyers or victorias secrets.

bill, that mannerism thing is sooooo weird that i might start saying it.

8/09/2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

tim - nooooo, but thanks for the memory (not memories, as you only reminded me of one thing and i'm not a fan of improper pluralization).

8/09/2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

So, I love Otter Pops. But sadly, Otter Pops don't love me back. I like to eat every color in one sitting (seven total). Well, it took me, oh, like eleventy times to realize that they make me sick. AND? The only reason I figured it out is because the Mister told me he stomach hurts after he eats them too. What kind of poison do they put in those? Or am I too old to metabolize that much sugar water at once? Sad :(

So....

I'll rejoin the eating of fujikle's already in progress...

8/09/2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger Paula gushed...

I'm with Gina- I hate, hate HATE it when people can't use the word there/their/they're properly. Also Your vs. You're and it's vs. its.

Another general pet peeve of mine is the number of people who manage to make it to college without having the first clue about how to write a basic paper. Seriously, people: thesis statement, body, conclusion... it's just not that hard!

8/09/2006 2:52 PM  
Blogger punkindunkin gushed...

-tables that wobble
-bad drivers and tailgaters
-being touched while I'm eating
(I'll bite your finger off, I swear!)
-people who sniff loudly all the time
-food that smells really good but makes you feel rotten later on (Mcdonald's, you are on my crap list Sir!)
-British actors (except for Patrick Stewart)
-the amount of celebrity news that our major media outlets spend time on during every broadcast

8/09/2006 4:08 PM  
Blogger punkindunkin gushed...

I hate being called ma'am. It drives me nuts when checkers and bellhops and basically all service industry people call me that.

No ring, people!
No husband, people!
No child in tow, people!

Just because I'm not a 19 year old blond, doesn't mean you shouldn't call me miss!

8/09/2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

mmmmmpatrickstewart......

My husband swears that when his hair thins, he'll "jean-Luc" it.

My peeve of right now is that my dad's 'a' key is sticking in the key board. grrrrrr....

8/09/2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY,

"I could care less."

Despite gross improper usage everywhere in the United States, this phrase is actually supposed to be,

"I COULDN'T care less."

Oh, when people say this, I want to cry. I once had the biggest argument in the world with this guy that I had a crush on. Needless to say we went our separate ways soon after this discussion.

8/10/2006 7:15 AM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

Also I feel like I've disclosed this pet peeve of mine somewhere on your blog before. Have I?

8/10/2006 7:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

Whenever I catch myself saying "I could care less," I add an addendum, "but not much less." That way it looks like I planned it.

8/10/2006 8:41 AM  
Blogger arwen gushed...

i've paid careful attention to my "anyways/ anyway" use lately and I have come to 2 conclusions:
1) I say and write anywayS.
2) I say and write anyways way too much.

8/11/2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger Ryan Woods gushed...

Pet P: People who constantly correct englsh grammar and punctuation in email, blogs, and especially in im conversations. First off, who really cares? Websters dead. Seconly, if you're going to try to make the english language void of odd quirks and things that don't makes sense, you should be speaking Portuguese. Thats english. It's screwy and wierd. Thirdly, it makes me think the person doing the correcting is arrogant and nitpicky. Fourthly, mistakes happen. Pointing them out is generally a bad way to live your life. Fithly, I don't know how to use a ";" or a "'" or a "~" correctly. Sixthish, I'm not much for fudgecicles. But I'm intruiged by someones reference to fudgedicles.

8/11/2006 11:48 PM  
Blogger Elaine gushed...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/12/2006 5:35 AM  
Blogger Elaine gushed...

not being able to sleep when you should/need to.
buyers remorse from internet shopping when doing said peeve.
people who can't seem to shut up and enjoy a bit of silence.
pre-occupied drivers.
readers of blogs who never post.
actually typing out "tho" "cuz" and other types of slang.
(I'm guilty of everything too!)
people who don't smile or can't look you in the eye.

ok done. thanks. LOVE THE ART!!
*sorry about the before above. i wasn't as concise as i wished to be.

8/12/2006 5:37 AM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

isn't it funny how different we all are? i love it (for real, this is not a trick) when people point out my little mistakes, but i was actually hesitant to post this because i didn't want anyone else to feel called out.

i hope you all know that i meant it when i said that i wasn't calling anyone out. i have plenty to be called out for myself. my almost complete refusal to blog in proper upper/lower case, for example. my overuse of elipsese for another...

anyway, interesting conversation.

also, thanks for stoping by, devi... nice to have a new face!

8/12/2006 7:13 AM  
Blogger Mike Lewis gushed...

A pet peeve would then be your favorite peeve.

8/12/2006 5:59 PM  
Blogger KMiV gushed...

fudge, chocolate, all that stuff is something I love. Although too much of it makes me have an upset stomach.

8/13/2006 10:08 PM  
Blogger Ryan Woods gushed...

Dearest Beccy, if you are worried about offending me it's only 'cause we've actually never met. If you knew me you would know that if I was offended I probably wouldn't say anything because I'm a big weiner baby like that.
I'm not easily offended. I think the last time I was offended was in the summer of '69 or something. I'm actually not quite sure.
anyways....
Word verification: cipppp

8/14/2006 2:41 PM  
Blogger bscarter gushed...

My pet peeve is having to wake up. Sounds morbid, but I mean the simple act of waking up. It locks donkey balls.

8/14/2006 8:40 PM  
Blogger Mike Lewis gushed...

My pet peeve is also when people can't use proper grammar with:

your and you're
there, their, and they're

Mi othr pet peev S wen ppl yous rong spllng N thr posts on prps. Its no wundr they spl yr and yr rong. <--This gives me a headache trying to read it.

8/15/2006 8:33 AM  
Blogger Hillary gushed...

confession: sometimes, when i'm at work, i don't do work. i write blogs, i surf the interweb, i watch things on youtube-- i do anything to escape productivity. and it is a severe annoyance when people start talking to me over my shoulder while i'm trying to get my lazy on. can't they see i'm busy? there are a few repeat offenders.

natalie dee is awesome, and i'm glad we share that. we had a moment.

8/16/2006 9:15 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

congrats on the new kitten.

couldn't you say "with regards to"?

when the husband was growing up he always got in trouble with his momma for saying "on accident" rather than "by accident."

8/16/2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

First, weren't Ice Cream Tickets great? Well, at least they were great after I figured out that they were not figurative prizes, like gold stars.

Two, I occasionally break the rules for fun (as with the non-parallel opening words of these paragraphs), but never in academic writing. My learning disability, though, sometimes interferes with my ability to spell properly. Homonyms are especially difficult, though I always know the proper form to use, but I don't always realize when I use the wrong one.

C, I must admit that I too harbor occasional peeves of the pet variety. I try my best to leave those peeves at home, though, any time that I am going to be around friends. I have to develop high standards in order to write in proper academic form, but I am afraid I would even annoy myself if I were to make a habit of impromptu education on methods of avoiding ending one's sentences in prepositions.

8/18/2006 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home