i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

warning, road work ahead

i think you should all prepare yourselves. i think that this blog may be evolving into a blog where i actually talk about myself. like, tell you personal things and maybe even show you pictures. i know, weird.

the thing is, as it turns out, i'm suffering (?) from depression for the first time in my life. the reason for the question mark is this. i'm not altogether sure that there is any suffering involved. i actually quite enjoy it on some levels. the hostility is delightful. i've rarely felt so hostile, and i can't believe how great it is.

oh oh oh, before i tell you too much, and make you all like sad for me and stuff, just be sure you read correctly what i said. depression, like the medical/chemical kind, is what i think i have. not sadness. i am still a generally happy person. i'm not going to kill myself (or the mister, or the spawn) or anything, i'm still like, bathing. i feed the children and even the fish and frog. i brush my hair and teeth. i just, you know, can't really deal with stuff. for example; someone accidentally lost the picture that was my wallpaper on my computer. a year ago, i would have just said "oh, no problem at all." now, i like, freaked. granted, it was an internal freak out, but it was written all over my face. i usta be able to mask that kind of reaction. those types of skills are gone. and i don't do things i want to do sometimes. like get together with friends and return phone calls and stuff. it's easier to think "wouldn't it be fun to have lori ann over," or "i really should return kristi's call about PSP," that type of thing. i want to do those things, but sometimes staring at the phone or computer is as far as i am capable of taking the thought.

for several months now, i've been trying to simpify my life, thinking that would fix it. it hasn't. i thought janni laine coming home would fix it. nope, nada. i thought backing off as the womens ministry chick at church would help. nuh uh. as it tuns out, i'm just on the brink of a nervous break down is all.

the thing is, i'm looking forward to the breakdown. i think it will be GREAT. i want someone to record it when it happens, so that i can watch later. i want to see how it shakes down, for real. also, i want the not caring anymore part to happen. i think that will be real boss, too.

for now, i'm just taking it day by day, and being consistantly more facsinated by the fact that i may need to medicate. i'm pretty against it, but mental illness runs in my family (like, scary mental illness) so i'm not going to take any chances.

so in the meantime, here is a picture of the pile of laundry on my kitchen counter that i have no intention of folding any time soon. that's the kind of order my life has these days. i keep my laundry in the kitchen in front of the coffee pot.



also, seriously folks. none of this was said for anyone to worry about me, or feel bad for me in any way. i'm okay, i really am. i just felt like telling the internet about it. i may delete this post in like an hour... i just don't know.

arrivederci, rebecca marie

(on an unrelated note, no matter how bad a coffee/icecream/ice blended thingie sounds, i have too much pride, as a fat girl, to be seen with a beverage called a "moolatte.")

24 flattering compliments:

Blogger emilykaypeters gushed...

sometimes depression is a way for you to work out "problems" in your life. As long as you can function normally, live life, and not get all sad and soppy.. then be "depressed". Just keep praying to God and keep your faith going, it'll work itself out. And, a great cry (a.k.a. the break down) is also a wonderful relief. I have been there, done that. Just make sure you are honest with your hubby so he doesn't worry.

7/23/2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Lori Ann gushed...

glad to hear your doing okay! :-)
keep us posted on your thoughts.

7/23/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

thanks girls... as far as being honest with the mister, he is of the school of thought that you can just decide to be happy, so that's why i'm telling you guys!

7/23/2006 4:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

Well, Tom Cruise thinks that too, and look how respected he is in the medical community.

When I was a kid, we had this single laundry pole in our backyard (a hold-out from the "hang dry" phase of laundry) and I used to cut sticks off of trees and hit the pole . . . for hours, it was great for relief and for exercise.

Oh, and make sure that you follow all of the pharmacist's advise (you read Arwen's post, right?).

7/23/2006 5:12 PM  
Blogger Tim gushed...

Just take vitamins.

word verification: hhhpe

7/23/2006 5:41 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

i love that word verification. hope is my mostest favorite thing.

7/23/2006 6:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

Oh, I thought it said hippie, but hope is better.

7/23/2006 10:52 PM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

see, i read it and saw hippie (also, I kept trying to type hippie and five times in a row I typed hippoe...no joke).

You know I love you and I will do whatever you need for me to support you. If you don't have anything...I'll just keep being your friend.

7/23/2006 10:53 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

the loon saw hope. don't make me fight you.

7/24/2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

I think Tim may be on to something...

Word verification: wuannimn - doesn't that look like vitamin to you?

(((hugs))) and I'm here for you any time! As you have been for me also. :)

7/24/2006 9:03 AM  
Blogger Kristi gushed...

I'm going to say something that you've all undoubtedly heard, but I must say again...

Depression can often be a physiological issue. If one had diabetes or heart disease we wouldn't ride that person for taking medication to make their life better (in fact, we'd ride them for NOT taking meds). A strong will or even a good counselor is not always enough for managing depression.

Sometimes medication, along with some good spiritual sword-fighting, is the best combo.

7/24/2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

thanks kristi - i suppose what i mean when i say that i'm against meds, is that i'm against meds to treat situational problems. that's what i'm coming to terms with for myself, it's occuring to me that no matter what i "fix" i'm still not myself. i'm realizing that i can't fix a chemical imbalance in a physical body. i can get the house clean, but i can't cure this. it's been a very interesting journey. the next step will be picking up the phone and calling the doctor, but we have kaiser and the hold time seems insurmountable.

it means alot to me that you are all being so supportive of me in general, and specifically in regard to the possiblilty of me on meds. it's a pretty huge big deal for me to admit need, in any form, so i really appreciate this forum.

7/24/2006 11:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

I whole-heartedly agree with Kristi. Medication is a very important part of dealing with a chemical imbalance--and I'm speaking from experience, not theory. Dealing with family members' depression for decades, I both empathize and sympathize, Becky. I think acknowledging it and putting it out there is the a great way to start dealing with it. It only makes it worse if you try to keep it bottled up inside yourself.

As for the vitamin thing: I have an honest-to-goodness hippie friend who swears by St. John's Wort to get you out of the doldrums(true--but also: see how I tied the topics together?). But since "Just take vitamins and exercise" is Tom Cruise's (and $cientology's) answer for every ailment, from postpartum depression to AIDS, I would hesitate to champion his advice. Dude's CRAAAAAAAAZY. I think it's a requirement to join $cientology.

You're in my prayers. I know you're going to get through it and come out on the other stronger, healthier, and wiser.

7/24/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

i don't know what you are all talking about. we decided to visit at the local scientology center instead of southwest yesterday, and we are converting. it's the best religion out there, and everything they do just makes sense.



(the above comment is comprised of lies)

7/24/2006 12:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

Okay, have fun in your cult. I won't be staging an intervention or anything.¡

7/24/2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger Steven gushed...

I had a Psychologist buddy of mine read your post. He said that it’s hard to know what’s going on without having met the person. He did have a few general things to share.

"Depression has many shades and will resolve even without treatment. The risk of course is when depression gets so bad there are physical symptoms, people are unable to work or function socially and ultimately commit suicide. Many people have some symptoms from time to time due to stressors, when they occur out of the blue it is more likely "biological" and medications are usually needed. Diet and exercise DO help, but I would not just leave it at that if the symptoms are severe."

Perhaps you’re stressed about looking for a new church home? Being as active in your church community as you seem to be, it’s probably the emotional equivalent to a divorce.

Don’t be afraid to seek help. There are some great counselors out there; both church and secular.

Hang in there and remember that even folks like me that don’t know you are on your side.

7/24/2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

you rock. thanks for visiting me last week!

we LOVED the booty!

let's hang out again soon!!

7/24/2006 2:02 PM  
Blogger breanna gushed...

i, for one, adore prozac.


the end.



(wordver:tjrydqx...doesn't that look JUST like scientology?!?!)

7/24/2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger arwen gushed...

B likes prozac, I like good ol cheap generic paxil. I was against drugs for 10 years of depression cause I didn't want to be taking a damn shot of Sunshine every day for the rest of my life. Perhaps you remember my recent freak out when I decided that I was going to stop taking the pax? Don't tell Dody, but I haven't taken it (on a daily basis) for about 2 1/2 weeks and I feel fine. So I think I'm almost off the sauce. This is the longest comment ever. if you can't get out of your funk (that is what I call it cause that's what it was like for me), I highly encourage a temporary herbal supplement available at any health foods store (place that one, Movie Master!).

ps... I like you ReebeeMeeree ♥

WV: cjoywn
(aka: see joy win)

7/24/2006 7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

I almost chickened out of putting up a comment because I'm not nearly a witty of half the "commentators" and I don't want to wig out the other half. But, I really should be used to being thought of as "a little odd" and let the lines fall where they may... :o)

If you are interested in trying to look at a few other options besides meds to see if there is something diet-wise that could be a factor or could re-balance things, there is a lot being said about Omega-3's. It's becoming vogue in the marketplace, but there has been and is lots of support for it (not only to help with depression). For more info, here is a good article: http://www.mercola.com/2004/feb/14/omega_3_depression.htm

Another thought is spiritual warfare. Depression is a powerful tool of the enemy. Seek deliverance from the only Deliverer and put on the armor! Love ya.

7/24/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Jess gushed...

I have some opinions on depression. I think that a wise way to handle it is to be open to many different options. Meaning: drugs, diet change, counselors, ect... I think being close minded about anything like this is dangerous and un-healthly. I also think our bodies (emotionally and physically) need different things at different times.

I use to be on several different anti-depressants(sp?). It took sometime to find the right one, but eventually it worked for awhile. It was able to help short term with what I needed then. Later on I discovered I had Celiacs disease and this can cause chemical problems. Once I changed my diet (Like hard core changed my diet!) most of my symptoms went away and I am drug free. The thing that I believe is for any treatment you have to be at a place emotionally to go along with it. If 7 years ago I would have had to change my life style to what it is now to make me feel ok, I know I would n't have done it. (the pain of where you are has to be greater than the the pain it takes to change it?)The meds worked then, but now I am able to make the changes in my life and it is worth it. Yeah for meds, yeah for other alternatives, Yeah for doing what we can to take care of our bodies....I sound super cool when I say that! I don't know if any of this made sense, but it's all I've got.

7/24/2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger Jess gushed...

I should get an award for the longest comment ever...or just call me Gina.

I like you a lot Gina.

7/24/2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

I know you want to be just like me, Jess. But I'm afraid no one is capable of posting novel-sized comments as consistently as I.

Keep trying, though. Striving is good for the soul.

7/25/2006 8:24 AM  
Blogger Jolene gushed...

hey gal, if you were here i'd give you a bear hug and cry heaps with you then tickle you until you collapse.

7/26/2006 4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home