i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Friday, July 07, 2006

i'm totally uncomfortable about this

i am incapable of going number two without reading. seriously. i can totally make a pee pee without reading. but no way no how can i do a b.m. without reading material. and, i know i'm not the only one. i remember once my cousin was running around our living room frantically shouting, "oh no! i need something to read! quick! quick!!" we all scrambled to give her something, i think she ended up with an outdated t.v. guide. fine... better than a shampoo bottle. we all got it, is the thing. evacuating with reading material beats evacuating without almost every time.

i like me a good meaty read. i generally have three books going at once. now is no exception. my current bedside book is the complete works of jane austin. my current around the house book is the newest katie fforde. my current bathroom book? anna karenina by leo tolstoy. i need SERIOUS reading for when i dook it out. especially considering i have (not for the feint of heart) chronic dinah-whatchacal-reena, and have had five surgeries on ye olde rectum. chances are, if i head in there, i'll be taking my time. hence tolstoy for my bathroom book.

sometimes i screw up the system though, in one of two ways. the first and more common way is when i make the mistake of picking up the meaty bathroom read when all i have to do is make a tinkle. tolstoy and the like are not meant to be digested by the paragraph. inevitably i'll need to re-read the wee wee section next time i visit the ladies to make a poopie.

the second mistake i make is overall unpreparedness. seriously folks, the back of a toothpaste tube is not good big potty reading. nor is the three month old box of hair dye. or the hairspray can. or the comet. when these have been read, i tend to go for the drawers that are in reach. if i am a guest in someone's home, their drawers are NOT safe if they did not provide reading material (i'll take fox and hound in a pinch...{get it? in a pinch? he he he}). i'll reeeeaaaach awkwardly for the drawer, slide it open as quietly as possible and reach in. some real gems can be found, anti-fungal cream, denture cleaner, condom instructions, tampon instructions. i must say i'm a huge fan of instructions. those take the longest to read.

i actually think that at this point i'm the same as the pavlovian dogs. only instead of salivating at the sound of a bell, i can only, uhm, you know... poooop while reading. i'm just afraid someday the training will be complete and i'll poop everytime i read. i'll thank heavens for depends, when the time comes, i suppose.



arrivederci, rebecca marie

p.s. i do not have a pink toiley, although i so totally wish i did. also, i really can't believe i am posting this, as i don't even, uhm... pooh-tat in front of the mister.

39 flattering compliments:

Blogger Lori Ann gushed...

electronic yahtzee. i have a wicked high score.

7/07/2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger Alan gushed...

I should get a dvd in the little estimator's room. Good Morning Vietnam has a scene where the great caw caw is discussed. Quite intense as was this blog entry.

7/08/2006 12:14 AM  
Blogger Jolene gushed...

Get your kids/guests to scratch messages onto your bathroom door... that can be your emergency backup plan.

7/08/2006 12:41 AM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

You just need wireless internet, girl.

That's all I gotta say

7/08/2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

I wish I had a pink toiley for my bathroom, too. It would be perfect to match the pink tiles on the floor.

I'll have to admit that I don't keep any reading in my bathroom. I have to scurry around to find something if I think it's gonna take a while.

7/08/2006 12:09 PM  
Blogger Jenn gushed...

Me too! There are only so many times you can read a shampoo bottle...

7/08/2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger Steven gushed...

Perhaps you could retrain yourself to "2" to music and pick up one of these bad boys.

7/08/2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger Lori Ann gushed...

Sarah, I just realized we just got wireless. Now I have a back up plan!

7/08/2006 3:03 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

i think jolene is onto something with the grafitti wall. not only would i have something to read in there, but my guests would have something to do while they go.

7/08/2006 4:08 PM  
Blogger Jason Hill gushed...

Readings ok, but for me its gameboy.

RM, I can't believe you dropped, (hee, hee), this on the weekend crowd. You are my idol.

Steven, that vid is hilarious. I have to get one of those yellow, grunt handles for the really big jobs.

7/08/2006 4:44 PM  
Blogger emilykaypeters gushed...

I usually have a puzzle book (one of those variety things) because it makes me smarter while I'm in the lovely "room". Restaurants/shopping centers should look into providing you with reading material (because you never know when you have to go, although I hate doing it. Hum.. I think that'll be my business adventure while I'm in Cali being pregnate and all.

7/08/2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

steven, that video is the goods.

jason, uhm, thanks? for saying i'm your idol. it is seriously such a big deal for me to talk about this that i even had janni laine read it to make sure it was okay before i posted.

7/08/2006 6:04 PM  
Blogger arwen gushed...

hands down, the best. post. ever. i like to figure out what the tampon instructions are really showing me... i still don't get it. I mean... I "get" it, but... i don't get it. I'm glad you go in for the long run. I like to consider my time with The Duke as a mini vacation: time to sit, relax and just... just dook it.

ps: i like all the euphemisms that you used: especially dinah maria or whatever. loved it.

7/08/2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger Trey Bonner gushed...

I think that we should all have our bathrooms prepared in case Rebecca comes over unexpectedly. :)

7/08/2006 11:19 PM  
Blogger James T Wood gushed...

for your next post:
-Dropping the kids off at the pool
-Doing some paperwork
-Seeing a man about a horse
-Dropping a deuce
-Laying some cable
-"Snakes on a Plane" (I don't know, I just wanted to be included.)
-Sitting on the throne

7/09/2006 12:38 PM  
Blogger breanna gushed...

hamay- that was two full minutes of laughing over your "snakes on a plane"

oh great...on to minute three...

7/09/2006 5:57 PM  
Blogger arwen gushed...

if you use Snakes On A Plane as a poop substitution, i will fight you.

7/09/2006 11:59 PM  
Blogger LoriLoo310 gushed...

Loved this post, even though I can't relate. I'm one of those people who get in -- and get out --as fast as possible. The commode is not comfortable for me.

On the other hand, you and BSC could swap stories. He's an avid bathroom reader and likes to take his sweet time in there. He always has a wide selection of books, magazines and newspapers to read. If you ever visit Utah, you will be safe in our basement bathroom.

7/10/2006 9:39 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

basically awesome post!

my husband LOVES tolstoy . . . now i will think of pooping every time he reads it.


if snakes on a plane doesn't work for you, try "sheet metal" (only funny if you've read my stupid sheet metal post).

7/10/2006 9:45 AM  
Blogger RoniZee gushed...

My parents have a pink toilet, sink, and tub. Seriously. Thank you 1957 style.

7/10/2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Jessica gushed...

Agreed that this is the most.awesomest.post.of.ever!
You'd definitely be safe in our bathroom - the mister and I are both avid readers on the pot. I really enjoyed this ginormous bathroom reader - lots of fun facts to learn. Puzzles are okay, too, so I have some puzzle books, magazines, book-books... it's quite a library. Also, I agree with the unpreparedness when it comes to Anna Karenina. I made the mistake of trying to read that book during a time in my life where I only had short bits of free time... di.sas.ter!
Anyhow - thanks for the post

7/10/2006 10:46 AM  
Blogger arwen gushed...

Seth used to have some friends in Boise that were super artsy and stoned and fun little kids. Their house was all sorts of art everywhere- not the sort that you buy at the "store" but the sort that you make yourself when you are stoned. You've seen the sort. But in their bathroom, they had something- i don't actually remember what it was- but I think it was like a dry erase board or something so that Travis could Art it up while he was Farting it up. There was also hanging in the little toilet alcove a poem and drawing that he apparently did while Speaking To A Man About A Horse.

7/10/2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger breanna gushed...

alright folks. generally i'm not a very judgemental person. but i have to say that it CAN'T be good to be playing gameboys and such while on the throne. because...that's just germtacular. germarific even. and simply ewww.

also. RM, we've talked about how sometimes i have difficulty understanding how names in books are supposed to be pronounced and i get real hung up on it? well i need to confess, i had never HEARD someone talk about anna karenina. i had read a lot about it. i had read it. and until you were telling me about it the other day, i was saying

annuh kaireen-eye-nuh.

good thing you have to still like me anyways.

7/10/2006 6:36 PM  
Blogger Tim gushed...

I've got two books for when people are taking the Browns to the Super Bowl.

One is a C.S. Lewis daily devotional book, and the other: Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey.

7/10/2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger bscarter gushed...

Just as you can't go without reading, I've actually found myself barely able to read unless I'm going. It's true, I'll save something for months by putting it into my pooter queue.

And I've tried the wireless internet thing - too involved. I need to be able to settle on a -age for a few minutes.

7/10/2006 7:51 PM  
Blogger arwen gushed...

taking the browns to the super bowl... love it.

7/11/2006 1:08 AM  
Blogger Kristi gushed...

First I love how a post like this can bring so many people together and yeild so many comments. Second I have never really understood reading on the pot. It was several years ago that I learned people actually do this. I wonder how many people do this. I should google that . . .

7/11/2006 11:06 PM  
Blogger Lisa~~ gushed...

by far the best post I have read in awhile. Although all of yours are good, this was AWESOME!

thanks for the laugh.

7/12/2006 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

I'm so happy to know that I'm not the only one who turns to the instructions when doing my biz. I could tell you from memory, how to wash your hair with any Aussie product, in both English and French. I kick the a$$.

I was totally fine through this whole post, until I got to the part about your pavlovian reading/pooing response. My monitor is now covered in Diet Coke...thank you so much.

7/12/2006 3:03 PM  
Blogger RoniZee gushed...

You are right, that is NOT my email, but it is similar....only I don't want to leave it on here or else my stalker count will increase tenfold.

Oh, and I know what you want to invite me to, you dirty birdy.

7/12/2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger breanna gushed...

i was thinking about the post today. don't ask why. and it occurred to me that i only keep a certain genre of material next to my throne. i realized it's all self-helpy. like, health magazines, meditation books, devotional books, stuff like that.

i wonder if it's somehow connected to "cleansing"

7/12/2006 3:46 PM  
Blogger Norman gushed...

you ought to get yourself "Uncle John's Bathroom Readers". They are books filled with fun facts, divided up into sections which are tailored to your needs:

Short stories - for a quick read
Medium stories - 2 to 3 pages long
Long stories - for those extended visits, when something a little more involved is required
Extended - for those leg-numbing experiences.

Highly entertaining stuff - and I always learn something too!

I'm currently plowing through the 14th edition called "Supremely Satisfying"

7/12/2006 5:12 PM  
Blogger Raj Van Allen gushed...

i shat a squirrel.

7/13/2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Ryan Woods gushed...

Raj, you know you're dead. So stop posting!

RM, I love Tolstoy too! I've actually only read War and Peace, but there is something about Russian litterature that appeals to me.

I don't read while I go, I play with tweezers. The drawer with the tweezers is right within my reach. Sometimes I'll find that I've been done going for 15 minutes and yet I'm still tweezing my body...eww. Sorry, I'll never say tweezing my body again.

My wife is amazing. She can go in litterally two minutes. I'm not joking. In public restrooms she will be out and done before I even finish going pee. I sure do respect her for that.

7/14/2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger Kaisa gushed...

Uncle John's Bathroom Reader (pick any volume) has a number of short and long reads in the book about various history/trivia and other interesting things. I would suggest picking one up while you're dropping the kids off.

7/14/2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger Raj Van Allen gushed...

Suck it, Ryan.

Rebecca Marie gets more comments than you.

Raj is eternal.

7/14/2006 4:40 PM  
Blogger Ryan Woods gushed...

Raj, why do you have to be so mean to everybody? I mean, why are you always telling people to "suck it" or telling people that they're wrong or telling us about how you've "done it" in random places? I'm pretty sure that we all know that it's because you have a small...anyway...suck on that sucker...

7/14/2006 10:36 PM  
Blogger Raj Van Allen gushed...

Boo hoo. You're breakin' my frickin' heart Rizzle...my mother never loved me.

7/14/2006 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

OK, I just read this and your "cousin" thanks you for not naming names. I'm also laughing my head off. I would never be so brave as to share all these - absolutely true - details.

Anonymous "Cousin"

8/05/2006 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home