i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Friday, April 01, 2005

to tell the truth

One of the following stories is true. Let’s just see how easily you are fooled, this fine April Fool’s day.

When I was, oh, about 23 I think, me and my friend Shanna had nothing to do so we decided to go pedestrian screaming (don’t ask). There was hardly anyone on the road, and by this time we’d made our way up 82nd Avenue to Marine Drive. There are quite a few hotels up along Airport Way, so we decided to head into the Sheraton and have a wee drinkie or two. We were dressed fairly nicely, as we’d had dinner together before boredom struck. So, when we walked by a wedding reception in progress, we felt we had no choice but to grace the guests with our presence. We danced and danced and danced, congratulated the Bride and Groom, thanked her parents for the lovely party, just as if we belonged there. The best part of it all? Shanna ended up dating the best man for over a year, and no one ever knew we had only crashed the party.

When I was in college, Tanya and I became overwhelmed with Christmas cheer. We were very poor, as all of our meager earnings were spent on "burrito specials" (a reecers bean and cheese burrito, a bag of cheetoes and a fountain drink) from the student store, oh, that and liquid Maalox. To add to our temporary financial embarrassment, we had already maxed our student visas so we had no pretend money to spend either. The thing was, we really really wanted a Christmas tree for our dorm room. So, we dressed up in all black, got into Tanya’s car, and with nothing but a dull bread knife, went in search of the perfect tree. We found a lovely tree in someone’s front yard near Glendovere. It took a good forty-five minutes to saw through the trunk, but we had the loveliest tree for our dorm!

Janni Laine and I used to have Mondays off together. This was when I was a grocery checker, and she was a hairdresser. We had a standing date at the mall. Which is odd, frankly, as I hate shopping. We’d eat at Azteca, or over at The Olive Garden across the street, then we’d spend way too much money at the Clinique and Lancome counters. Well, one day, the clerk at the Lancome counter (who we had struck up a bit of a friendship with at this point) asked us how it was that we were able to be there every Monday. With no hesitation I said, "Actually, we work for the Estee Lauder company, and we’re here every Monday, we’ll be at the Lloyd Center tomorrow, and we usually head up to the Tacoma/Seattle area Wednesday and Thursday. We just shop around and pick up all the new products from our competition." Janni Laine just smiled, and nodded. It was weeks before we told her the truth.

Okay, now, you decide……Which story is true?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

arrivederci, rebecca marie

p.s. on my honour, one of these stories is true. i will tell you which one tomorrow.

11 flattering compliments:

Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

KNOWING REBECCA ALL OF THESE SCENERIOS SEEM LIKE THEY WOULD BE SOMETHING SHE HAS DONE... I AM GOING TO HAVE TO SAY THAT THE LAST ONE IS THE REAL STORY.... BECAUSE WHEN JANNI AND REBECCA GET TOGETHER ANYTHING GOES!!!

4/01/2005 10:06 AM  
Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

So, since I am the big sister and all, I know the true story.... BUT... as you are delightfully insane, all the stories are at least partly true. Good luck to all of your faithful followers as they are trying to decide.

4/01/2005 10:11 AM  
Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

OH OH!!! Remember how we used to salt Dad's tea on April Fools day? hee hee!!! Couldn't exactly get us in trouble since it was April Fools could you Dad??!! (please don't ground us)...

4/01/2005 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

Although I know for a fact that Rebecca dressed in black and pulled off some pretty terrible pranks in her young life, I can soooo believe her and Janni perpetrating alteregos on some poor unsuspecting innocent.

4/01/2005 10:14 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

i would have to go with door number 3 . . . and if not, door number 1. who would really have the guts to chop down soemone's tree in their FRONT YARD? i don't believe that is true . . .

4/01/2005 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

I think of door number 3. Just because I don't think that even if you were poor, you would live with a "Charlie Brown tree," over stealing it. Also if my memory serves me right, you were married at 23 and I don't think that door number one would fit the profile. I could be wrong though. I frequently am.

4/01/2005 12:00 PM  
Blogger breanna gushed...

my vote is cast for candidate 3...

but i would be oh so happy if number one could be true.

number two....well, that one causes me to wonder a bit...a butter knife cutting down a tree in a front yard? i'd need photographic proof.

4/01/2005 6:12 PM  
Blogger Scrapping Dani gushed...

I would have to say door #1

4/01/2005 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

well, RebeccaMarie.... you little christmas tree thief.... since you and Janni Laine are grounded for salting my tea... for the rest of your lives, I guess I'll just let all of your other readers wait til tomorrow to find out the true story of your tree stealing escapade.

4/02/2005 6:27 PM  
Blogger Footprint gushed...

you write delightfully...

4/05/2005 8:51 AM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

Door no. 3. What do I win?

3/31/2006 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home