i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

i should've gone into advertising

Local commercials crack me right up. Every town has them, and apparently, they are funny every where you live. If you are over eighteen, click here for an joke about a commercial local to Ohio.

Here in Portland, we’ve got some real doozies. There’s that old guy who will eat his hat if he can’t beat other car dealer’s prices. Whatever. Like you won’t just come in a dollar under.

Then there’s the car dealer who thinks that an accent and a wild animal will make me think his cars are better. Not to mention the dealership with the "big back yard." I just want to buy a car, not watch your cowboy show.

Or that guy with the beard whose wife has gotten skinnier as the ads have progressed. Not making fun of her, I’m actually happy for her, she probably saw herself on TV and got motivated (maybe I should find a commercial to star in). Anyway, he says that if he can’t beat other mattress prices, he’ll give you your mattress for free. I wonder how many mattresses he’s really handed out sans payment.

Then, we’ve got the terrifically multi-tasking Bill Shonnely peddling appliances and announcing basketball. Who’d’ve thought the Shonz had it in him.

This morning though, I nearly fell off my couch when ol’ Jer-Bear told me that if I bought a mattress from him, he’d give me a bear. Actually, there was quite a bit of local talent lying around his mattress store shouting that they would all give me a bear. Well Jer, I’ll be right in! How ever could I resist such an offer! I was going to buy my mattress somewhere else, but you’re giving out carnie bears!

(For the next reference, I apologize in advance for anyone not living in the greater Portland area in the mid-eighties)

I only wish that I could still get a Tom Peterson haircut with my next appliance purchase.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

arrivederci, rebecca marie

3 flattering compliments:

Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

Good ol' Mattress World. The wife keeps getting smaller but that baby laying on the mattress stays the same size. I heard that kid is like 15 now.

3/30/2005 10:43 AM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

Oh Ted! Thank you so much for the awesome reminder of that bit of Portland history! I'm hysterical! I have a "wee" bit of a Tom Peterson story as well, but the only hint you'll get here, is the fact that I put "wee" in quotes, as I'm not a fan of being sued for slander. If anyone wants the story, email me at rebecca-marie@hotmail.com.

3/30/2005 4:05 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

and then there is ron tonkin or scott thomason, whichever one of those guys that says, "if you don't come see me todat, i can't save you any money" . . . i used to work at a summer camp and his step-son with bright red hair would come to that camp for wrestling camp and everyone was all, "oooh, he's related to that car salesman guy, oooooh."

3/30/2005 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home