i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

brad goodman was really on to something - or - "i do what i feel like"

Often we humans do stupid crap without much using our brains first. Like, wear a white t-shirt to a Mexican restaurant. Pretty much you’re begging to spill salsa. Or that weird “I think I’ll lick my finger then touch this here iron,” thing that we do. We know the iron is hot, that’s how it works, by heating up. I’m also fond of watching people lick 9-volt batteries. Yeah, it still does the same thing it did when you were 12, brainiac.

Some of it can be avoided with pre-planning, like the white shirt. Some by common sense, like the iron scenario. But some of it practically can not be avoided. Like the 9-volt battery scenario. The outcome of this situation can only be prevented if you come equipped with impulse control. Some of us just are not that lucky.

Personally, I have a small measure of impulse control, not much, but I do. I don’t have to chew tin foil. I remember that it feels horrid, as well as pleasantly intriguing, against my fillings. I don’t need to experience it again. I do however succumb quite easily to what I refer to as “hot tator tot syndrome.” Lets see, this morsel of food is too hot for my fairly desensitized finger tips, so I think I’ll throw it into my much more sensitive mouth so that I can do that weird half chewing, half awkward breathing thing. See? Some impulse control. Not complete impulse control, just some.

Right now, I'm really questioning whether or not my brother-in-law Byron has impulse control, and here’s why. The other day, Janni Laine noticed a small wound under his eye. When she asked him what happened, this is what he told her……

“Well, I was shaving, see? And I got a wee speck of shaving cream up under my eye. Instead of just reaching up with my finger tip and swiping it away, I just shaved it off.”

Impulse. Control. Thank God for it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

arrivederci, rebecca marie

p.s. if you don't know who brad goodman is, you haven't watched nearly enough of the simpsons. go now, educate yourself. (also, thanks bill for the awesome simpsons link.)

1 flattering compliments:

Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

For REAL. Preach on, brother Bill. I knew you'd know who Brad Goodman was. I bet you know who keeps the metric system down, too (we dooooo, we doooo).

3/27/2005 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home