i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Friday, May 12, 2006

the web log entry

yes yes ya'll THE web log entry.

it's fascinating how the word the is sometimes inappropriately used. not like how i say that i'm all the awesome, that is a perfectly acceptable way of using it. as i am in fact, all of the awesome. there is no more awesome left over for anyone else (well, maybe there kind of is, as i share).

what i mean is like saying "i'm not feeling well, i have the allergies." or, "don't let her house sit, she's on the chronic. "

do not misunderstand, by saying that those are inappropriate uses, i am in no way saying "do not say that your friend is on "the chronic," she is in fact "on chronic."" on THE chronic sounds more awesome and i will invariably vote for more awesome over sort of awesome and certainly over not awesome at all.

but sometimes, man, it is just wrong. like how i heard it used last night. me and the mister were in the mcdonalds drive up lane (ONE DOLLAR BACON CHEESEBURGER HECK YES I'LL HAVE TWO AND SOME FRIES AND THAT IS WHY I'M FAT WELCOME TO AMERICA I LOVE AMERICA THANK YOU FOR MY THREE DOLLAR DINNER) and the lady talking to us on the yakkety box said "would you like to donate a dollar to the breast cancer?"

no lady. i do not. i am not a fan of the breast cancer. the breast cancer killed my mother in law. if you don't mind, my extra dollars will be spent elsewhere. like on a slurpee.



arrivederci, rebecca marie

(now nobody better be getting all up on my case about this and accusing me of being somehow insensitive about breast cancer research. anyone who knows me knows where i stand on women's health issues)

15 flattering compliments:

Blogger Tim gushed...

Why would anyone want to support the breast cancer? DOWN WITH BREAST CANCER!

5/12/2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

word.

this one time, i was at a bowl game in san diego (take THAT horns, the ducks are better at football than you) and the halftime show was "up with people."

man, that's just wrong.

5/12/2006 12:36 PM  
Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

I like how somehow THE gives regular things an implied importance (or sarcasm). Like, when I struggle (and don't get mad) I say that I have THE special needs. Not "I'm special needs"

And Kudos to RM. The way you think of things and spell them out for our viewing pleasure is fantastic. I have to say that you are truly our generations Gallagher. Just without the Sleg-A-Matic

5/12/2006 5:01 PM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

I have the giggles right now. :)

5/13/2006 8:07 AM  
Blogger Steve Puckett gushed...

Ha! I like it THE very much.

Peace.

5/14/2006 3:19 PM  
Blogger Norman gushed...

"teh"

according to teh Urban Dictionary... 'the' is obsolete and should now be 'teh'.

teh norman

5/14/2006 7:23 PM  
Blogger LoriLoo310 gushed...

I once had a friend who would call Wal-Mart "The Wal-Mart." Drove me nuts. She didn't put "the" in front of any other place but Wal-Mart. Why give Wal-Mart, of all places in the world, an extra push of importance? I mean, really! I would much rather it be called "Freaking Wal-Mart"

5/15/2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger bscarter gushed...

I actually prefer teh. Using teh kewl. Not teh gheigh.

5/15/2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

makes me think of how the BSC says THE herpes.

5/16/2006 2:36 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Andrea Wood gushed...

I used to work at a restaurant and we had a lady come in and talk to us about "the pot"; how it is bad and how it messed up her life and I truly wanted to be sympathetic but we couldn't help but laugh at her "the pot" stories.

5/16/2006 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

Using "the" like that reminds of that old propaganda flick Reefer Madness...througout the whole movie they talked about the horrors of "The Marijuana"

Those kids were on the dope.

I, on the other hand, am not on the dope...but I am the cool.

OH OH OH! I almost forgot...I'm all up for loafing on your couch. Name the time. :-)

5/19/2006 9:15 PM  
Blogger LITTLE MISS gushed...

sorry, I got distracted by video on side of your blog.

(deleted "the" for your reading pleasure!)

; )

5/23/2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

Still undecided about the the. There are definitely incorrect ways to use the the but I like to use the the as often as appropriate.

Maybe the the means too much easted ink. Then again, I like me the French, and it wastes all kinds of ink.

hye, I tried to hook you up on the friend list on the myspace, but I evidently ain't got the hang of the "approve button" thingy. If you want to send over the request, I'll try to push the button with the skills this time.

5/24/2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger Steven gushed...

My beef isn't with "the". It's with the extra "s" that some people put on the end of store names.

"Fred Meyers"

"Nordstroms"

"Costcos"

... just to name a few.

5/29/2006 6:17 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

or... the extra s on anyway.

there is no such thing as "anyways."

in minnesota, they pluralize innapropriately all the time. well, pluralize or infer ownership. "oh! i was wanting to tell yous guys. i was over at cubs foods and i picked up some extra ice."

someone actually said that to me and the mister. i swear, they said it so hard.

5/29/2006 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home