i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Friday, March 31, 2006

to tell the truth, part deux

One of the following stories is true. Let's just see how easily you are fooled, this fine April Fool's day. Post your guesses as comments. And I promise, one story is one hundred percent true.

El Story-oh Numero Uno - When I was 18, I got myself totally addicted to the KWJJ night-time radio show called "Cryin' Lovin' or Leavin.'" Addicted to the point of obsession. I could not wait for it to come on each night. The people who would call would be ridiculous. The DJ would say "Cryin' Lovin or Leavin'?" and the saps on the line would say something like "I'm cryin', I just lost my job and came home and found out my dog got runned over by mah next door neighbor." Then they'd request some fitting song, cause as we all know, there's a song for everything if you just dial in a country station. So anyway... I wanted to call in. I wanted to call in so hard. So I made up a character. Her name was Darlene, and I called in and said "Mah name is Dahr-Leen, Ah'm a cook down at the Happy Burger on 82nd and Ah'm Cryin' Lovin' AND Leavin'! When Ah got home to the tray-ler after work, Ah found a lipstick an it wusn't mahn! So Ah love 'im but Ah'm leavin' 'im cause Ah can't stop cryin!" Well, the DJ fell for it, and we settled on the song "Did you tell her she was sleepin' in the bed you made for me." The DJ liked Darlene so much, that I became a bit of character on the show. Imagine his surprise when I finally met him in person and I was just an 18 year old goofing around.

El Story-oh Numero Dos - In my sophomorere year of highschool, I found out that Wheel of Fortune was having highschool week and I was fairly desperate to go. So me and my friend Wade got into his sincerely boss orange Datsun 210 and headed to California to try out. It was going to be a lottery. Fill out a simple application, then they would draw from a pool of eligible contestants based on the application. We figured it was only one days drive down, and maybe we'd win some money. The problem was, it wasn't spring break or anything, and our parents never would have let us go. We snuck out at around 2:30 in the morning, left notes on the counter, panicked somewhere near Salem, had breakfast at a greasy spoon and were back home before they knew we were gone.

El Story-oh Numero Tres - When I was in grade eight, I was taking a speech class (Mr. Roberts, for any locals). I honestly don't remember what my end of the semester five minute speech was about, but I do remember what happened to me during the speech. I was nearly done, and suddenly I felt some pretty major, uhm, stomach upset. There was air needing to escape. Now keep in mind, I am a fairly private person. To this day, I don't let that particular function happen in front of the mister. So I figured if I, er, squeezed as hard as I could, I could prevent the air from escaping until I could make it to the ladies between classes. Well, I don't know if any of you have ever tried that method, but let me tell you, it does not work. The air escaped, and to my best recollection, it was ten times louder and higher pitched than it would have been had I just relaxed. And yes, everyone heard, and yes, I still hear about it from my classmates when we see each other.

So there you go... voting is now open. I'll post the answer one day next week. Have fun!



arrivederci, rebecca marie

18 flattering compliments:

Blogger James T Wood gushed...

ha-HA! El Comment-oh Numero Uno!

Story number one is FALSE - because radio DJ's would never want to meet someone in person and reveal that they are in fact just fat slobs that sound cool.

Story number two is TRUE - because . . . I said so.

Story number three is FALSE - because I know for a fact that the squeeze-method is 95% successful.

4/01/2006 12:08 PM  
Blogger breanna gushed...

where have i heard story #1 before? like word for word even.... just the same, i think that it's the true one. even though it's probably not. hey, if george mason can make it to the final four, i could be right on this one!

4/01/2006 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

I am going to guess story #1. Because I to was a cryin,lovin or leavin fan and remember darlene well.

4/01/2006 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

I love story numero uno, but I agree, I can't imagine any radio DJ meeting a listener voluntarily.

Dos...I can't imagine a chica like you giving up at Salem...I imagine you would have at least partied at the enchanted forest for a day or so :-)

Tres I want so badly to be true. Why you ask? Because I had a similar thing happen to me. Yes I did. And I lettered in speech/debate and was third all state in high school. I just confirmed my geekiness didn't I? Eh hem, Three is true.

4/01/2006 3:17 PM  
Blogger Tim gushed...

If James said so, I'll agree with him. #2

4/01/2006 7:24 PM  
Blogger Jessica gushed...

My first instinct was #2... though you make #3 sound awfully convincing...
I'll stick with my gut ..

NUMERO DOS-O

oh, and my word verification is
zitfels... hmmmm

4/02/2006 2:44 PM  
Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

What's so awesome is that ANY of them could be true. Even if it sounds too wacky, we ARE talking about my Rebecca-Marie.

I will brag and say that I know the real answer.... But if I didn't? I'd guess she and Wade and their grand adventure. I would guess partly because when I'd go a sneaking at night, I would leave a note on my bed... So, if I didn't know, that'd be my guess.

4/02/2006 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

My first thought was that the Becky I know wouldn't have woosied out in Salem...she would have at least hit the border before panic set in! It would have been that giant "Oregon Thanks You" sign that did the trick!

My vote goes to the squeeky gas story....just because I really like it a lot! I can easily picture her doing the glute squeeze while trying to brilliantly get her point across to the class.

4/02/2006 8:00 PM  
Blogger Ike Graul gushed...

3

4/02/2006 11:37 PM  
Blogger LoriLoo310 gushed...

I really want all three stories to be true, because they all sound like so much fun to me. I would have to go with numero uno. Yep, that one's the funnest. Numero uno.

4/03/2006 8:44 AM  
Blogger Erika gushed...

I vote for #3

4/03/2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger Pet-tree gushed...

well Im voting for number two cuz it sounds like something you and my brother would do. Although all of them sound true, but winning money during teen week on wheel of fortune is just right up your-guys' alley.

4/03/2006 9:07 PM  
Blogger LITTLE MISS gushed...

I'm sorry, I can't get past the Cake song! I Love that song! It reminds me of the first year my husband and I were married. We made several trips between Utah and Iowa, and we always brought along the Cake cd!

anyway, i'll guess #2. (I always choose the average number when I can't decide!)
; )

4/03/2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

i think number one is true . . .

when my husband was a kid he used to call in to a radio station in reno and talk about baseball. he was jon g and he would talk to the guy like once a week or so during baseball season.

also, i don't know if any of you listen to 94.7, but there is a "character" on there--the lesbian tractor/lawn mower driver--who they would call every now and then and ask her what she was up to. yeah, i know her too. :)

4/04/2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

although dos sounds like something i would do

4/04/2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Lori Ann gushed...

I think it is #1.

4/04/2006 7:27 PM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

no. 3

4/04/2006 9:07 PM  
Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

I wasn't reading these with the intention of commenting, but my word scramble is...

ooorili. Oh, Really?

Tell Tell Tell!

4/06/2006 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home