i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

identity crisis - or - a prelude to violence?

i love music. all kinds of music. i am a music user, an addict. and i'm not super picky. sir-mix-alot is just as awesome to me as cake. i love me some john denver. space hog is on my list. buddy holly, bryan adams, joe satriani, rob base and dj ez rock, rosemary clooney, me first and the gimme gimmes, the supertones, george winstson, prince, yaz, you name it. i am a fan of music. well not jazz... but we all have our limits. at any rate... you just never know what i am going to be playing in my home or car. it could literaly be anything.

so anyway... i have this brood of kids in my house today, and the one little slice of sunshine was singing to a baby... this is what she sang to soothe the baby;

"i am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told i have squandererd my resisitance for a pocked full of mumbled such are promises. when i was just a baby my momma told me son always be a good boy don't ever play with guns but i shot a man in reno just to watch him die. in the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade and he carries the reminder of every glove that laid him down or cut him till he cried out lie lie lie lie lie lie lie."

right. on. nothing like combining a little of the boxer (simon and garfunkle) with folsom prison blues (johnny cash). this child rules the school. she is the rulingest kid in town.

but then, this is the same child that used to want eve of destruction sung to her as she drifted off...

"the eastern world it is explodin', violence flarin', bullets loadin,' you're old enough to kill, but not for votin,' and even the jordan river, has bodies floatin'..."



arrivederci, rebecca marie

14 flattering compliments:

Blogger breanna gushed...

you dun good. she's a gift to society. i basically heart her.

HOWEVER. i don't see how you can truly claim musicaldiversity when you hate chick singers? it's something that i just DON'T get about you. it's shocking really.

thankfully for you, i don't do the whole "just listen to this one, i KNOW you'll LOVE her!" thing over and over. i like you too much to sacrifice our frienship just so you'll listen to jewel.

5/09/2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

i don't hate chick singers... "i am not a fan of female vocalists..." that's different, especially considering what fan means.

i love alanis, i'm a huge fan of natalie merchant. i totally dig the cranberries. carolyn arends is one of my favorites...

i just reach for the fellers, first.

that being said... yes... thankfully you don't do that. i however, do it to you all the time with music and movies. mostly because i'm always sure you'll dig it.

i think there was a jewel song i liked once, but i can't recall what it was. oh and that rosie thomas, she's nice, too.

i like jewels teeth.

5/09/2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger Steve Puckett gushed...

Hey there. I linked to you from Tim Lewis. How did you personalize your blogspot. I like your header and the scrolling text.

smpuckster@mac.com

Peace.

5/09/2006 1:14 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

i think rosemary clooney might count as jazz . . . way to spread diversity on to your offspring!

and i like your profile pic.

5/09/2006 2:06 PM  
Blogger Lori Ann gushed...

Oh I totally like ALL types of music. I mean I will listen to any.
What an awesome new pic. of you!
It is so artsy.

5/09/2006 5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

Bob Dylan always puts me to sleep too.

And what is it with the band Cake today? I haven't heard anything about them in forever...then my hubs earlier told me (to my sheer disgust) that he liked Cake. And now you too.

At least you mention the gimme gimme's, so all is not lost.

5/10/2006 12:03 AM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

You know what's sad... I'm this "music" person who barely ever has the radio on. What's up with that?

Anyway, your little slice of sunshine is adorable!

5/10/2006 7:38 AM  
Blogger LoriLoo310 gushed...

I'm totally with you on the whole musically diverse thing. Sad thing is, I don't own many CD's cause there's just too many I would like to buy. I let BSC play whatever he wants in the car and at home, cause I just like me some music ... don't care what it is.

5/10/2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger punkindunkin gushed...

(unrelated to the discussion)

I love yer new profile pic

it's kewl.

5/10/2006 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

well, how can you not be musically diverse??? I am after all your dad who listens to such "classics" as The Animals - House of the Rising Sun, Iron Butterfly - In a Gadda Davida, Disney - It's a small world after all, It's a small world after all, It's a small world after all.... dadgummit, now I'm really irritated with you, I won't get that no good song outta my head for weeks!!! Oh well, what ya gonna do?

5/11/2006 7:46 AM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

oh greeeaaaat dad....

"there is.. a house.. in new orleeeeaaans... they caaaallll the riiiiising suuuun... it's been.. the ruin.. of manyuhpoorboy... and God... i know... iiiii'mmmm one."

5/11/2006 7:58 AM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

also dad, supposedly you can get any song out of your head simply by singing "dude looks like a lady" by aerosmith.

although, you run the risk of having "dude looks like a lady," in yer noggin.

5/11/2006 8:10 AM  
Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

The one stuck in my (and Jackson's) head the past few days is the "nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh .... nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh"

Those of you that watched Yo MTV Raps will recognize that as the "Ed Lover" theme. Others will know it as DJ Kool's song "Let Me Clear My Throat"

It's a good-en. Makes you shake your booty.nq

5/11/2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

and I don't know what .nq means. My fingers won't tell me why they typed that.

5/11/2006 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home