i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

people are "ridiculous"

(never mind, I decided to blog after all…) I’m not that big a fan of people using pretend finger quotation marks. Problem is? I do it. Granted, it’s usually very sarcastically, but I do it, nonetheless. Doesn’t a pair of “ " wrapped around words mean that you are taking words that someone else said and giving that person credit for them? Here, I’ll show you…

“isn’t it better to just be a good person to begin with?” - Rebecca Marie

See how that works? That’s what quotation marks are for. So, if we are using pretend finger quotation marks, doesn’t that mean that we are, in fact, quoting someone? Why would a person say, “you need a (finger quote)shrink(finger quote) if you plan on succeeding in society.” Or whatever dumb example you’d prefer. You see what I mean.

But, we’ve decided as a society to take them into the written word as well. I’m sure I’ve been guilty of it myself, scroll down, you’ll probably find some fine examples. What made me ponder this today at all was that I’m trying to get my payroll done for the week, and I got a mileage reimbursement form that says at the top, “attn. Rebecca Marie, ‘payroll.’”

In this world of inappropriate sarcastic finger quotes, I have to believe that the person requesting a mileage reimbursement, and using written quotes around my title, does not believe that I am responsible for paying them. Hmmm. If they wonder whether or not I do their payroll, I wonder if they’ll get a check this week…

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

arrivederci, rebecca marie

11 flattering compliments:

Blogger Rebecca gushed...

Excellent! There is a person with whom I work and he is ALWAYS using them incorrectly in his emails. When my friend Paula still worked here, we made fun of it A LOT! If you are going to use them, use them correctly!

I think you should "show them" and not give them their checks.

People are indeed ridiculous.

6/08/2005 1:43 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

no kidding, whadder they gunna do? "fire" me?

6/08/2005 2:27 PM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

btw, what is it that you are doing with youre hands in your drawing? *said with much amusement*

6/08/2005 3:02 PM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

yeah yeah yeah! Shanna! One of my favorite episodes. It was just on not very long ago.

6/08/2005 3:04 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

those are stick figure finger quotes... i'm shocked that you couldn't tell.

6/08/2005 3:17 PM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

OOOOOOOH, riiiiight! Thanks for the "clarification".

6/08/2005 3:32 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

once, my girl jamie and i decided that we would use them incorrectly at all possible times. for example, "are you going to 'the' store?" or "i can't wait 'to' talk to you."

at least we kept oursleves amused,

plus, my friend jake white (who is in alaska and cannot stick up for himself at the moment) once told me that he hates it when people use "finger quotes" but mostly for the way they do them. people usually make as many quotes as there are syllabls in whatever it is that they are quoting. he proposes making one quote with one hand at the beginning of the "quote" and then one quote with the other hand at the end of said quote. it makes perfect sense.

6/08/2005 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

My 8-year old daughter Lexi has started using finger quotes. It's hilarious watching someone who still doesn't quite grasp the concept of sarcasm, and who doesn't understand quotes and quotation marks, using finger quotes:

The teacher said I had a "good" day at school today, but I still wish my friend "Julie" wasn't home sick "throwing up".

6/09/2005 7:46 AM  
Blogger James T Wood gushed...

I got myself addicted to the fingerquoting - sometimes I catch myself making fingerquotes with my hand under the table or while on the phone. I am so "lame."

6/09/2005 10:34 AM  
Blogger Mamma Bear gushed...

"Great" Blog :) ...no, really - it is!

6/09/2005 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

I love LOVE LOVVVVVEEEE using the finger-quotes when I talk.

Great analysis.

6/09/2005 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home