i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

adreneline junkie seeks thrill - holey wheels need not apply

‘Member big wheels? HUGE narrow plastic wheel in the front, two sweet fatties in the back, a seat like a tractor, high wide chopper style handlebars, a brake lever that you could yank up on and spin out? They were bad to the bone.

Yeah well I never had one.

Don’t give me any garbage about them being made for the fellas either. They came in pink, too. All dolled up with flowers on the seat and streamers from the handlebars and everything.

Wade. Had. Two. TWO!!!

He also had a righteous hill. I mean, it’s not steep now, not as an adult, but to a couple of seven year olds, it was like dead man's curve and the cliffs of insanity all rolled into one.

Here’s what we would do… We would strain and struggle our way up the hill, ready for the RUSH of riding back down at break neck speed only to yank hard on the brake lever and spin out at the bottom. I’m pretty sure that this is where my entitlement issues started. One of Wades big wheels was pristine. One had been ridden so hard that the biiiiig front wheel had a hole in it. Which one do you think he chose?

So there I was…. Ready for the big thrill, watching Wade whiiiiiiz by, screaming like a woman over the excitement of it all, while my traitorous big wheel went Thuh-Thunk… Thuh-Thunk….. Thuh-Thunk….. Thuh-Thunk…..Thuh-Thunk….. Thuh-Thunk…..


Big stupid jerk. I’ll let you decide if I was talking about Wade or the big wheel.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

arrivederci, rebecca marie

4 flattering compliments:

Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

we. did. the. same. thing.
my sister had the rad red and yellow one and i had the bestest pink and baby blue one. her's got the flat in the tire first. flat? how could a plastic wheel have a flat? i guess you were more correct in calling it a hole. we would ker-chunk down our steep driveway (that our baby sister fell down once (or twice) and skinned her nose) and then toward the bottom, we would back peddal as hard as we could and the things would skid out and spin around into the street (we didn't have the cool break levers you speak of).
i remember getting mine for christmas and waiting oh so impatiently for my dad to put it together . . . one of the best presents of ever!
thanks for reminding me of my childhood.

5/07/2005 11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

everyone knows that the national transportation safety panel decided that Big Wheels, like Chevy Corvairs were deemed to be "unsafe at any speed"... Ralph Nader will confirm this in an upcoming expose. Therefore as an advocate of keeping RebeccaMarie safe at all times (the girl was/is a total klutz) I decided that she'd have to stick to Barbie Dolls and not have a "Big Wheel"... dang, did she have any Barbie Dolls??? I don't remember. Also.. Wade's escapades on the unsafe "Big Wheel" led to a future of "how much air can I get over that hill with this worn out Volkswagen Beetle?.. fortunately all survived this "Unsafe Era" and are now mature adults who will also probably not acquire "Big Wheels" for their highly overprotected children.
RebeccaMarie.... I will watch for Big Wheels at upcoming garage sales, sounds like a great birthday present for you.
Sincerely
-your loving Father

5/08/2005 8:34 AM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

i know what you mean tabitha, sorta a flat, sorta a hole... who knows what to call it. glad you have good big wheel memories, too. they were basically awesome.

dad, moms car worked just as well as the bug on the hills on pinehurst. 32nd was nice as well, it was just hard to time the greenlight to cross oatfield. but if you did make it across on a green? hooooo boy. AIR BABY. glad she doesn't have that car anymore, or i'm sure you'd be out checking the underside for damage.

heck, who am i trying to fool. i am my fathers daughter. you knew full well what i was gonna do everytime you handed me the keys. i am after all the girl who taught herself to ride her bike in gravel.

5/09/2005 8:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown gushed...

I seem to remember a similar model called "The Green Machine." It had like a gearshift or something. Whatever it was it was sooooooo much cooler than a Big Wheel.

5/13/2005 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home