i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

let's be candid

One of my favorite things to argue about is BAD PICTURES. I’ve always gotten a kick out of hearing people say "oh, wow, that is a reeeeeaaaally bad picture of me." No, not really. The picture is not bad. You looked bad when it was taken. It is an accurate portrayal of how you looked the moment the shutter opened and closed.

Okay, okay. I’ll give you lighting/posing issues. I would prefer not to have my picture taken in a room filled with fluorescent bulbs. I would also prefer that you allow me a chance to, say, turn slightly to the side (who’m I kidding, we all know that I’m round). But for the most part, pictures are YOU. Unless you are flipping through a stack of drawings done by a five-year-old, don’t say "wow, that is a bad picture." Say, "wow, I really looked bad when that picture was taken."

Also, for your information; in general, humans are relaxed. Look around, we do UGLY stuff. Just be thankful that there aren’t more pictures to enjoy. I bet the girl that I was watching at a fancy dinner on Saturday while she scratched her armpit, picked her teeth, and squeezed her arm pimples woulda stopped if someone started waving a camera.

Stop blaming the poor camera/film/photographer. I stopped that a while ago. It is totally and completely my fault if I choose to say "cheese," when I’m sucking down a frozen coke in my worst pajamas and I haven’t even combed my hair.

Just accept that we are not that pretty, unless we plan it out.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

arrivederci, rebecca marie

12 flattering compliments:

Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

Isn't that funny? Another good example is to freeze the frame on a movie. Chances are, you'll catch the most beautiful actress looking like a horse. Thank goodness we aren't all in slow motion! Because in just a second, you'll look beautiful again. If only the picture could have been one second later....

AND ALSO? When you pick up your film? If you hate the picture, destroy it. Tear it right up. Nothing tears quite like a picture. Who said you have to keep it and look at it anyway?

5/17/2005 10:34 AM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

Are you kidding me? I am a beautiful woman and at all times, am pretty. It is ALL the camera's fault. Don't give me any of this hooey about me being the problem. It isn't true.

Also, I like your idea JanniLaine about ripping up those ugly photos produced by the camera. Again, cameras fault. I am pretty always. :)

5/17/2005 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

I, of course, have never had a bad photo taken of me in my life.

Gabe, however, is a different story altogether.

5/17/2005 12:19 PM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

I am the bad picture queen. I have to look at a camera JUST RIGHT to for it to be a decent shot of me. One degree off and I end up lookin chubby in all the wrong places.

p.s. We LOVED Store Wars...Kevin even blogged about it. Hehe.

5/17/2005 12:46 PM  
Blogger Scrapping Dani gushed...

I have looked bad on several occasions when a picture was taken. That is why I like to look my best every time I know pictures will be taken.

5/17/2005 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

being a professional photographer... it's true, I take pictures of cans of green beans and raw carcass for my job.... it can be proven that it is never the fault of the dead cow if the picture doesn't turn out well. it's always the lighting/shutterspeed/photographer's fault.. therefore rethink your theory because people are no different than a can of spinach.. sometimes you get good pictures sometimes you don't.... BLAME THE PHOTOGRAPHER IN EVERY INSTANCE!
lovingly
-your Father

5/17/2005 3:23 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

i would say this argument goes along the lines of the "nature vs nurture" question of psychology.
how much of both of these elements are at play in making us who we are?
our natural beauty? or the nurture of the camera and environment around us?
and timing. my mom has bad timing.

and she only takes pictures of the backs of people's heads. at all times.
if she went to mt rushmore, she would take a picture of the back of it.

5/17/2005 4:40 PM  
Blogger breanna gushed...

there are few things that illicit a mock vomit from me like the phrase "squeezing her arm pimples." gag and gag again!

here's a secret...at walmart, if you don't like some of the pictures for whatever reason and you dispose of them while standing at the photo counter, they'll reduce the price of the pictures to reflect what you're taking home. it's not dishonest either, they just don't advertise that fact. this is awesome, because you can pretend that the jello thigh NEVER HAPPENED.

5/17/2005 8:26 PM  
Blogger theoneandonlyTalon gushed...

I will agree that at certain times it is the fault of the person having their picutre taken, but at the same time it is also the photographer's fault. He didn't have to take the picture at that moment in time.

Unfortunately for me... where am I normally located in a picture? NO, not in the camera, but behind it. That's right... I'm the photographer. All I have to say in my defence is that I try not to take ugly pictures of people, but I can't help it if they decide to do something random at that moment.

Also... look at me. If I ever do end up in the picture, how can I not look good? I'm young and pretty and I can't escape that. Damn genes. If I ever do have a bad photo, it's usually cause I did it on purpose

5/18/2005 5:15 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

talon, you are hysterical...

5/18/2005 6:24 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

another take along these lines can be found here.
the lighting bug strikes again!

5/19/2005 8:56 AM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

talon, i'm looking at all of these pictures of you again. you are tooooo much.

i love talon!

5/19/2005 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home