i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

no wonder we're all lost

You know what I find intriguing? Directional orders that have nothing to do with the behaiviour that you want changed. Why is this helpful? If you shout at me to “listen UP,” I’m not going to listen any harder than if you’d’ve only shouted at me to “listen.”

Or “settle DOWN,” or “calm DOWN.” Why down? Why am I taking my level of settledness down? Doesn’t the yeller want my level of settledness to increase? As well as my level of calm? It’s strange.

Why does “shut UP,” mean the same thing as “quiet DOWN?” Why isn’t it “shut DOWN,” which would mean almost the same thing? Or “pipe DOWN.” Bizarre.

Okay, I’m sure that I could wonder about this for hours, but Janni Laine is in town and waiting for me over at the folks house, so I need to hurry UP and get ready, or I’ll slow them all DOWN.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

arrivederci, rebecca marie


15 flattering compliments:

Blogger JanniLaine gushed...

I know!!!

Why do you 'settle up' your bill?

Why do you 'figure things out'?

no "they" always say that English is the hardest language. It makes no sense to me and I SPEAK IT!

5/23/2005 4:42 PM  
Blogger theoneandonlyTalon gushed...

You know what has always gotten me?... correct me if I'm wrong, but... one of the most confusing things in the world?...

Why do people say "heads UP" when you are supposed to put your head DOWN?

I mean, if I hear heads up, what do I do? I look up. The *!smack!* ... well, you know

That's just always been the most stupidest thing ever said..."head's up"...*grumble*, *grumble*...

"Head's UP!"
"huh?"
"OUCH!"

lol

5/24/2005 12:05 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

and you said "get over there"
if you were to "get over" something, wouldn't you really just be hovering over it, rather than being there, present?

hmmm . . . interesting english language.

5/24/2005 3:46 PM  
Blogger rebecca marie gushed...

yeah, the english language is fascinating. "can you bring me that pen?" "okay, you can take it back, i'm finished.."

why take vs. bring?

5/24/2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger Scrapping Dani gushed...

What about this. Some one asking if they can borrow a condom. UMMM..... NO, but you can have one. GROSS. I would not want it back.

5/24/2005 11:29 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

or when people say "i'm going to take a shower"
where are they taking it to?
i guess the canadians and brits have that one down right when they say "i'm going to have a shower" or "i had a bath"
it makes a bit more sense.

5/25/2005 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

My goodness that's insightful! I'm so fired-up I can barely calm down.

5/25/2005 11:09 AM  
Blogger Tim gushed...

I don't think I need to mention other things that we say we're going to take, but end up leaving somewhere...and flushing.

5/25/2005 2:41 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

no tim, i don't think you need to mention them at all. . .

5/26/2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

Here's one that's always bugged me. So many people say, "I could care less." Shouldn't it be, "I couldn't care less."???

5/27/2005 2:35 PM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

Or could you care less? There are actually two different statements there:

You could care less, which means that you care somewhat as it stands.

You have no care at all and could not possibly care less.

5/27/2005 3:42 PM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

UPDATE YOUR BLOG! I know you have wonderful insights to share with us. What are you doing? Come on! You act like you have a family, a job, or a life...

Basically I miss your comedy!

5/31/2005 4:55 PM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

post rebecca marie post!

you are turning in to janni lane!

6/01/2005 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

She's probably busy training the three or four people they're going to need to take over her duties when she leaves her job.

6/01/2005 11:46 AM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

I doubt they are looking. They probably don't believe she is REALLY going to leave! You'll show them!

6/01/2005 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home