i found in my pursuit of God that He was much more hotly in pursuit of me.

Friday, June 24, 2005

i heart scott

Sometimes I get fed up with my husband. I mean, seriously, totally, done with the man. I mean, he is stubborn. Like, the kind of stubborn that is shocking it its unshaktitude (yes, that is a word, no need to look it up, just trust me). Also, he can get this look, and when he does, it frightens even me into silence. Yes, you read that right, even me. He’s not a gushy guy, not like girls dream about, anyway. I could spend an hour and a half in the bathroom primping, and he’d not even bat an eye when I came out. Also, and this is weird folks, he rarely spends time with his friends. Like, is he anti-social or something?

And and and, while I’m at it, don’t let anyone fool you into believing that this marriage crap is easy. It is NOT easy. It is hard work. All of the, remembering to consider each other over any other person on the planet, including children. Or, not treating perfect strangers as if they know more than my very own husband. Or, seeking approval from others first. Not easy. Several times in the course of our marriage, I’d’ve bet my next check we were headed for divorce.

But here’s the thing. I’m crazy about him. Mad, batty in love with him. Would you like to know why? Well, first of all, he is solid. Once he makes his mind up about something, I never have to doubt his word. I mean, he’s been in the same job for over twelve years, and I’ve never had to worry about a roof over my head. Talk about stability. Another thing? He is the only man outside of my father who can silence me with a look. I can’t imagine how bad it would be for someone spirited like me to be married to a man who couldn’t actually be the man. Scott can remind me of my role as his wife without harsh words, he doesn’t need them. I love him because he’s not a chick. I’m the chick! Not him. I don’t have to worry about him crying over a misunderstanding, or being oversensitive. He’s the man, I’m the woman. And as far as compliments go? That man makes me feel beautiful. That’s another time he doesn’t need words. Nothing like a man who whistles at his wife when she walks across the room in her holey hanes her way. Oh, also? He, without fail, chooses me first. Lots of times, his friends call and ask him to play poker, or go golfing, or on a gambling trip and he says no. I actually have to ask him to go and spend time with his friends. Not because I want him gone, mind you. But because he does have such a good time, and a man who prefers the company of his wife over anyone else, still deserves a break from her now and then,

I’d better stop, or I’ll never quit. See, I pretty much could never get tired of talking about how basically awesome he is.

You may be wondering why suddenly I’ve chosen to talk about him, when in the past I’ve barely even admitted to having a husband, let alone two perfect little monkeys. Well, I’ve chosen today because tomorrow is our tenth anniversary. Ten years strong and we still like each other. Yup, a real whole lot. We’re going to the beach, and thanks to an amazing friend, we’re going alone (wink wink).

I know that this has gotten long, but I will leave you with one more thing (and it’s not art, I don’t want to cheapen the way I feel about him)…

When we got married, we chose most of the music for our wedding together. With one exception. These are they lyrics to the one song he insisted on. It’s a bit racy, so it was used after the processional, when people were leaving. But yesterday? It came on in my car. My three year old said, “mommy, this is the song daddy likes.” The love of my life, is still listening to this song. Enough that a three year old knows that it is the song her daddy likes.

Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman – Bryan Adams

To really love a woman
To understand her - you gotta know her deep inside
Hear every thought - see every dream
And give her wings - when she wants to fly
Then when you find yourself lying’ helpless in her arms
You know you really love a woman

When you love a woman you tell her
That she’s really wanted
When you love a woman you tell her that she’s the one
Cause she needs somebody to tell her
That it’s gonna last forever
So tell me have you ever really-
really really ever loved a woman?

To really love a woman
Let her hold you -Till you know how she needs to be touched
You’ve gotta breathe her - really taste her
Till you can feel her in your blood
And when you can see your unborn children in her eyes
You know you really love a woman

When you love a woman
You tell her that she’s really wanted
When you love a woman you tell her that she’s the one
Cause she needs somebody to tell her
That you’ll always be together
So tell me have you ever really -
Really really ever loved a woman?

You got to give her some faith - hold her tight
A little tenderness - gotta treat her right
She will be there for you, taking good care of you
You really gotta love your woman...

Then when you find yourself lying helpless in her arms
You know you really love a woman
When you love a woman you tell her
That she’s really wanted
When you love a woman you tell her that she’s the one
Cause she needs somebody to tell her
That it’s gonna last forever
So tell me have you ever really-
really really ever loved a woman?

Just tell me have you ever really,
Really, really, ever loved a woman?
Just tell me have you ever really,
Really, really, ever loved a woman?

arrivederci, rebecca marie

13 flattering compliments:

Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

Congratulations to you Both!! I wish you many, many, many more happy years together..

6/24/2005 7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

Wow, what an amazing post. Congratulations, you guys!

6/24/2005 9:08 AM  
Blogger tabitha jane gushed...

hooray! happy anniversary!

when my man and i hit 10 years, i wanna be able to still gush like that about him!

have *fun*!

6/24/2005 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous gushed...

baby girl, you don't know how proud reading that made me feel. I love you and the "man" you're married too.... oh, and those monkey's aren't bad either.... have fun at the beach darlin girl
-your dad

6/24/2005 2:04 PM  
Blogger Sarah gushed...

Now I'm gonna cry!!! Does Scott read your blog? He needs to!

Happy 10th, and have fun at the beach...alone...

6/24/2005 8:06 PM  
Blogger everyday.wonder gushed...

Congrats on the anniversary! Melissa and I are halfway there and going strong. We don't have two monkeys yet, but that first monkey is just fixin' to come out and meet us. Have a great weekend away!

6/24/2005 11:24 PM  
Blogger breanna gushed...

my darling friend,

you've chosen the most tasteful of ways to "out" your man. he didn't sign up to be the husband of a famous blogger, but he did sign up to be adored and appreciated by his phenomenal wife, and rightly so.

since we're on the subject, and although i've said so in person, i want to take the chance to express my gratitude for what your marriage has meant to me in this first year of marriage. Your relationship is so real, so sincere. You have had the courage to speak truthfully to me about situations that could be "touchy" and it has meant the world as i've begun my own journey as an adoring wife. The Coach is a fantastic husband, and a WONDERFUL daddy...and i'm more thankful than i can say that you've let me far enough in to benefit from your 10 years.

blah blah blah. thanks.

6/24/2005 11:40 PM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

Happy 10th my friend! Hope you enjoy the coast. Talk to you soon!

6/25/2005 9:03 AM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/25/2005 9:05 AM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/25/2005 9:05 AM  
Blogger Rebecca gushed...

Sorry about the multiple comments there...Mike's computer was freaking out at me!

6/27/2005 11:32 AM  
Blogger J. Kevin Parker gushed...

Wow, Breanna's right: you ARE a famous blogger! Happy Anniversary.

Oh, and I trust you, so enlighten me: what is "unshaktitude"? Even Google grimaced at me when I looked it up. JKP

6/27/2005 1:53 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Andrea Wood gushed...

Congratulations!

It takes work but it is so worth it and I am so glad to hear that there are people willing to put effort into their marriage to make it something wonderful.

6/30/2005 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home